Marketing & Strategy Innovation
by Matt Rhodes on 24 January, 2011 - 23:54
To celebrate the second annual Community Manager Appreciation Day, we’ve brought together 15 essential articles for online community managers and social media managers. From why community managers should get involved with their online community before it is even launched, through how to manage and grow a community, to how to measure the impact you are having.
This collection of articles, resources and thinking should have something for everybody to learn from or to add to. We’d love your thoughts on these and also your own favourite community manager articles and resources.
- When does a community manager’s job begin?: Why it is critical that your community manager is involved in helping to plan and design the online community before it is launched.
- The Ten Commandments of managing online communities: An insightful presentation on how to manage online communities from Julius Solaris.
- The biggest mistakes an online community manager can make: From lack of engagement to a lack of discipline, we look at five of the biggest mistakes an online community manger can make.
- How word of mouth grows online communities: A case study on the role of word of mouth helped to grow an online community at a critical early stage.
- Five things to consider when engaging social media influencers: Influencers in social media can be a great help when growing your community and become advocates of your site. However engaging them can be difficult. Here are five things to consider when engaging them.
- How to react if somebody writes about your brand online: A simple guide to help you decide when, and how, you should respond if somebody comments on your brand online.
- Why you shouldn’t join every conversation about your brand online: When you should, and when you shouldn’t, join conversations about your brand online (and why you shouldn’t feel the need to respond to them all).
- Champions, active users and trolls: Defining the different types of users in an online community and exploring how they behave and how you should manage them.
- Moderation and safety: Why moderation is important, the four types of moderation you can choose from and how to decide which approach is right for you.
- Should anonymous comments be allowed in your online community: The pros and cons of allowing anonymous comments in your online community, and those times when it really is the best option.
- Comparing paid and organic search strategies for online communities: Which are more successful drivers of traffic? And which are more likely to drive engagement?
- Eight ways you can use your online community to get insight: Eight tools and activities you can use in your online community to get insight from your members.
- What online community managers can learn from gaming: How to use gaming techniques to help manage and grow your online community.
- Using experts to encourage real engagement with your community: How experts can add value to your online community if used sensibly, and in a way that meets the needs of your community members.
- Is time on site a useful measure of how successful your online community is?: The short answer is ‘no’. This article tells you why, and where time on site is a useful measure.
Image by moriza via Flickr
Original Post: http://www.freshnetworks.com/blog/2011/01/15-essential-articles-for-online-community-managers/